Well, as most of you know, thunderstorms and I are simply not friends! So, while we were out walking this evening after a lovely day of learning (my brain is full to overflowing and it’s really only the first day of the lectures etc.), storm clouds begin to form over the mesas. The lightening was beautiful, though terrifying if you are me haha. I asked someone near me if they thought it would be headed this way and they said confidently that they get their storms from the west and that the storm was coming from the east. I was very trusting, so we kept walking. The sky was getting darker and we were pretty far from campus and then the lightening picked up over the prairie. I didn’t want to be the loser scardy cat, so I very confidently suggested that it might be wise to start heading back. No sooner did we step foot in the Hogan back than the rain started and the lightening picked up so much that I was visibly wincing, but I really had to use the facilities…I’ve never wanted in-house plumbing so bad in my life…I risked the walk to the facilities knowing I’d regret it later if I didn’t and then Marjie, Jan and I holed up in the Hogan as the thunder cracked louder and louder. Marjie and I were yelping each time…apparently there is NOT a lot of thunderstorms in Seattle…I think I should move there…J
Unfortunately, that’s not where this story ends. A few moments later an insistent knocking on the door interrupted our conversation and Karen, one of the staff members here, was hurriedly telling us to get to the lower floor of the Gates building. She didn’t even have to say why…I was out the door. Evidently a tornado had been spotted a few towns away and there were wind advisories. Jan, my other roommate, is now my hero too though! She volunteered to help Karen round up the rest of the group in this weather. I was so impressed! I am rooming with two heroes J!
In the lower level of the Gates building we all sat at tables in the lab, and I, knowing how long these warnings could last, had grabbed some games so we split ourselves up amicably and played phase 10 among other games. I love that my new friends can distract me so well from the pitfalls of my phobias! J
Lots of excitement in only 3 days! Shew-wee…J Can’t wait to see what tomorrow holds at Mesa Verde!
woah does seattle have many tornados? it sucks how the weather tries to ruin your fun! but what games did you guys play? any american indian games that were passed down??
ReplyDeleteEvidently Seattle just gets tons of rain but few storms! It ws pretty crazy. That night we actually played phase ten and farkle and I think one group Played scrabble lol. AnOther evening though we were taught a traditional Indian game. Maybe I will get a chance to teach y'all at some point!
ReplyDeleteI definitely understand how you could be nervous about the storms, I myself am terrified of thunder and lightning. But it's always nice to learn something new, especially when it is something as cool as a traditional Indian game. It's good to know that they not only passed down stories from generation to generation but also traditional games. It helps to know that not all was lost with the westernization of their culture.
ReplyDeleteThat was well stated jasmine and I agree it does make you grateful their culture has survived so much
ReplyDelete